ttyS0 timeout errors....

I'm in the process of configuring a box here in my home in preparation for
a drop-in replacement of another box (running RedHat...<grin>....) at a
remote location.

The RedHat box is simply acting as a router between an ethernet LAN and a
dedicated (no modems) CSLIP connection to an ISP.

Anyway, the problem I've run into is that I've pretty much got the new
Debian (1.2) box configured; however, I'm getting the following error
message on the console after booting the system:

sl0:  transmit timed out, bad line quality?

There is nothing attached to the serial port; however, I am starting up
"slattach" and running "ifconfig" in order to configure the interface.
Everything seems to come up fine....

The error messages start after "ifconfig".  Starting "slattach" by itself
doesn't result in any error messages.  If I run "ifconfig sl0 down", the
messages go away.

BTW, "setserial" finds the ports without any problems during bootup....

Any ideas as to why I might be getting this message and how I might fix it
would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Kevin Traas
Systems Analyst