Re: A proposal to improve dselect

> David Gaudine wrote:
> > ... maybe this has warped my attitude. But personally, I don't want
> > to even *think* about installing X on a system until I've already
> > installed everything else.
>
> Dselect is not only Debian's face to the world, it is also an
> administrative tool which should be quick, powerful, and convenient
> for even experienced administrators to use.

Sounds terrific. On a related note, aside from your (very correct, imho)
list of dselect problems, it seems to do some very stupid things sometimes.
I keep a directory /usr/local/deb full of packages I've downloaded
(since I don't use dpkg-ftp due to slow PPP link, and don't
have a 1.2 CD yet). I keep a directory structure there similar
but not identical to the proper site. I have dselect scan these packages
when I pick Update, which it does ok. However when I pick install,
if I have two versions of a package in my directory, dselect
will often install the newer then later replace it with the older!
Especially if the older is in a later directory. I'm not sure if
it occurs if they're in the same directory.

I prefer dpkg by hand. When I'm searching for a package,
I download Packages.gz and use less; even dselect's search
is very cumbersome. Adding additional packages during the installation
other than the recommended set seems to be a recipe for disaster too.

hamish