Re: Just a Proposition....:-)))

On Mon, 6 Jan 1997 jacek@netcologne.de wrote:

> A text based installation of the BASE system (whatever it is) plus X.
> Later we continue the installation under X by just using something like
> xdselect or xdpkg (without cryptic spells, just checkboxes). Of course
> there should be an option for all these who love the text version of the
> installation...:-)) I think installing and upgrading under X by just
> using the mouse pointer should be possible...and BTW other so called OS
> can do it too...more or less...:-))) Maybe someone is currently working
> on an installation routine like this and I think it would make debian
> more user friendly and debian would gain more users....

The first time I tried to install X in was on a Diamond Viper before
that particular card was supported.  Later I encountered various revisions
of the mach64, each time having to wait for one more beta of the server.
Plus, I've encountered some very interesting mouse-related problems.
So maybe this has warped my attitude. But personally, I don't want to even
*think* about installing X on a system until I've already installed
everything else.