using fork in cgi & perl

Hi,

I'm having a hard time getting fork to work correctly in a cgi script.

Basically I have a time consuming process which I want to be done in the
background.

I have something like this:

unless (fork) {

# print out result html page
exit 0;
}

else {

# do time-intensive stuff
}

What's happening is that the child process executes (and becomes zombie)
and the parent process continues to chug along. The cgi result html only
comes up after the long process finishes...

I've tried switching the parent & child to see if it makes a difference,
but it doesn't. In every case, the html output goes into zombie state, and
the result page is only displayed after the entire process is complete.
Almost as if the fork isn't working as intended...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ricardo