Re: Building a.out binaries

Stephen Darragh wrote:

> I'm calling for help because I really don't have time to solve
> this one myself.  :)
>
> I need to compile an a.out version of the (modified) login program,
> dynamically link against libc4 (obviously.)
>
> To this end, I installed all the gizmos - aout-binutils and aout-gcc.
> These programs (gcc and ld) run ok, but produce this warning :
>
> /usr/i486-linuxaout/bin/gcc  -o login login.o getpass.o checktty.o
> /usr/i486-linuxaout/bin/ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; defaulting
>  to 08048078
>
> The resulting binary is a messed up statically linked ELF file.
>
> The login.o, etc. objects, compiled by the same gcc look ok as
> impure object files.
>
> I'd greatly appreciate any assistance.
>
> ... Stephen
>
> --

Stephen, I haven't used the aout-gcc compiler but from what it sounds
like you are probably using a Makefile which is pointing ld to the
wrong libraries. Take a look at all the -L directives and maybe you
want to explicitly put in directives to point to the a.out libs.

Just guessing really,

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com