man

I've been trying to get ppp working on my system and had a clue from
Lindsay Allen (thanks Lindsay) to read on the *mod* suite of commands
(i.e. depmod, insmod, modprobe, lsmod, and rmmod) but during my latest
O/S build, man has developed a problem. When I enter "man depmod", for
example, I get "man" can't open cache '/etc/ld.so.cache'" and "man:
can't load library 'libgdbm.so.1'".  Both files exist and seem to have
appropriate modes; where am I going wrong?