Re: why modules?

On Sat, 7 Dec 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

> I'm not surprised that you are wondering why modules are useful. Most
> of the reason of that is that the Linux distributions have not caught
> up with what they can do. That's including Debian.

I do see their uses.  However, there are problems with using them.  The
point is that 90% of users don't have a real use for modules, much less
need them.

As I pointed out to another person that responded, I've had too many
support calls from people whose problems were a direct result of not
to load the module as well.

   |   This is OFFICIAL WRITTEN notification that I want to be REMOVED   |
   |   from ALL commercial mailing lists.  EVERY message sent from this  |
   | account has had this request posted. ALL UNSOLICITED ADVERTISEMENTS |
   |     SENT TO THIS ACCOUNT ARE IN VIOLATION OF FEDERAL (U.S.) LAW.    |