MSDOS to LINUX ?? HELP!!

I have been waiting and tring to start play with the linux operating
system. I have downloaded the Linux Debain source code and read all of
the text files. They tell me that the compiler needed is the gcc-2.3.6
so I downloaded the file and it needs compiling also. So I read all of
the text files on that. It says to find the djgpp dos compiler to
fully compile it. I looked all over the net and final found a woking
source. Now I don't know how to compile the gcc-2.3.6 because the
installation instructions are for the unix os and not dos. Can someone
please help me?
Jim