Re: dselect via ftp probs

Richard Morin <qnc496@durhamnews.net> writes:

> Hi folks, sorry to bring up a quasi newbie prob, but here goes.  I had a
> buzz setup with 2.0.24, and after reading various messages about dselect I
> decided to go to the frozen level. Here is my trouble so far, I didn't
> have dpkg-ftp, so I went and got it, only it wouldn't configure.  Needed
> perl, which I have, but didn't install with dselect.  Naughty me.  So, I
> tried to grab the deb perl, and install it, but it needs libdl1.
> Where is libdl1?
> I've looked, to no avail.
> The funny thing is, I think dpkg-ftp did install, because ftp is now an
> option in dselect, only it doesn't seem to work.  It isn't getting the
> packages files.  It connects, logs in as anonymous, changes to dir, exits,
> but no new packages are available in the next step.

You have to do:

 Setup - asks user for various pieces of info and only checks to see
if the distributions you asked for are there.

 Update - this downloads the package files and uses dpkg to update the
available package lists

 Select - (nothing to do with dpkg-ftp)

 Install - should then download any new packages and install them

Which option failed to work and which version are you using?

Andy.