RE: cdplay & sound.o autoloading

Someone (I know you will) correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the CD
simply send audio directly to the sound card, rather than via a device
file?

This would not require a sound module, or kernel support for sound, to
be present. It would also suggest your problem lies in the card's
initialisation.

Casper Boden-Cummins.