Re: X-window keys

>    Dear Debianites:
>
>    Let me clarify my previous post... (I just thought to go back and
> try it for accuracy---maybe next time I'll think to do so *before*
> posting :-).)
>
> > why ctl-alt-bs might not kill X?
>
>    Rather, ``why X comes right back after dying''?  After ctl-alt-bs,
> X does indeed appear to die---everything goes black, I see the virtual
> terminal from which I started xdm momentarily, then I'm back in X
> again.

I think that the problem is that xdm re-launches the server when it is brought
down by ctrl-alt-bksp. It is xdm that is running the server. This means that X
is indeed being brought down only to be re-launched again.

AFAIK, to kill xdm you just need to run /etc/init.d/xdm stop as root.

Hope this helps!
Luis.