installing with the new floppies

I fetched the new disks (June 2nd version) and they do not seem to
work as they should. Here is my report.

 + module configuration (most remarks are trivial ...):

  fs   - binfmt_java and ufs lack an explanation
  ipv4 - there is just one module called `*', no explanation.
  misc - serial lacks explanation

  ... but this is not:

  net - no modules are detected; however modprobe from the shell seems
        to detect the network modules. I had this problem with the
        previous version as well.

 + when I execute a shell the input is not echoed back (cannot see
   what I'm typing)

 + after reboot I never get the message to set the password and login
   (the system seems to hang after the message "Starting base
   networking daemons"). I cannot login from the virtual consoles. If I
   reboot via ctrl-alt-delete, the while the system shuts down all the
   messages appear on the screen (too late now :-). This happens the
   first time aftre installation. Upon rebooting again, after a few
   minutes I'm logged in as root, no questions asked. The system seems
   to work though.

Any input for me? I can run a few tests if you tell me what to try.

Cheers,

pino