Re: xdm config after install

  Maarten> On Sun, 5 May 1996, Martin Schulze wrote:
  >> I would suggest doing a "dpkg --configure xbase".

  Maarten> Tried that, complained it couldn't do that, something was
  Maarten> wrong and it was already installed

I have a similar situation.  I was already running an ELF-based
version of Debian but I was a couple of months behind in package
versions.  Yesterday I updated my copies of packages, installed the
new dpkg by hand then ran a massive dselect installation.  Part of the
dpkg installation picked up inconsistencies in various levels of
/etc/rc.n and "fixed" them.  Apparently there were daemons that were
being started at lower levels of the init sequence then stopped at
higher levels.

When xbase was being installed I thought I responded that I wanted xdm
to be started at boot time.  Now I can see that after a reboot an xdm
process is running but no X-server is started on the default display.
If I try to configure xbase again I get

 # dpkg --configure xbase
 dpkg: error processing xbase (--configure):
  package xbase is not ready for configuration
  cannot configure (current status `installed')
  xbase

I can run an X server as root by using startx.  I cannot run it as a
regular user; presumably because of permission problems.

I would welcome suggestions on what to reconfigure so the X server
starts up at boot time.

--
Douglas Bates             Dept. of Statistics, U. of Wisconsin-Madison
            (visiting at: Dept. of Statistics, U. of Adelaide)