Re: Has anyone done a java installation on debian?

I was just under the impression that because java is compiled into byte
code and interpreted by the VM at runtime, that it was noticeably slower
than a comparable program, say in C++, that is compiled directly into machine
language.  If there is a noticeable difference, it seems like it would be
(relatively) trivial to turn the VM into a genuine compiler.
Please correct me if my concerns are ill-conceived.
I am considering writing a mud in java, which would be a quite large program
with a huge database, and am wondering if it would be grossly inefficient.
But I have never benchmarked it, I don't even have java installed.

Thanks
Steve