installation boot problem

I am trying to install Debian GNU/Linux 0.93 R6 on my pci-based pentium-90
system (home built).  But while booting the install disk, the system
hangs.  Here is a description of what I did and what happens:

I downloaded the images of the boot, root, and base disks from the
Debian WWW site and used rawrite2 to make disk images on 1.44
floppies.  Then I boot with the Installation Boot Disk, and it gives
me a standard welcome message, and displays the "boot:" prompt at the
bottom of the screen.  When I press enter, it displays a series of
messages (as I would expect it to) until it gets to the message:

mcd=0x300,10:  Init failed.  No mcd device at 0x300 irq 10.

It continues to display messages that look normal (similar to the ones
shown in the Installation Manual at www.debian.org) until it bets to
the message:

IP Protocols:  ICMP, UDP, TCP

Then it hangs.  The next message I would expect to see would be
something about my ethernet card (a NE2000 compatible card)...the next
line shown in the Manual is:

NE*000 ethercard probe at 0x300: 00 40 05 15 d0 77

(this is just a guess at what it might display... since I've not
successfully booted the installation disk, I wouldn't know what it
would really display).  I suppose the problem has to do with my
ethernet card, but I don't know what to do about it (since I can't
even INSTALL Linux).  My system has worked fine under MS-DOS 6.22/
Windows 3.1 for several years...

Steve DeNeefe
sdeneefe@muddcs.cs.hmc.edu