Re: debian changes

---------  Received message begins Here  ---------

> From debian-user-request@Pixar.com Sun Mar 17 19:19 EST 1996
> From: "William S. Gribble" <grib@cs.utexas.edu>
> Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 12:45:29 -0600 (CST)
> To: rshutt@ravenet.com
> Cc: debian-user@Pixar.com
> Subject: Re: debian changes
>
> rshutt@ravenet.com wrote:
> > Hello, I was just wondering.  Apparently a LOT of packages have been
> > upgraded on the debian ftp site since I first installed the "unstable"
> > dist.  However, I dont recieve mail about these changes.
>
> You should get dftp, which is probably the single most useful tool on
> my system (next to dpkg).  It's written in csh, and it's a little
> crufty, but it is exactly the right tool for the job.  Once you have a
> system installed, you really don't need dselect at all, just dftp.
>
> You tell dftp where to find the debian development tree, and it ftp's the
> Packages file and compares it against your system, then pops up an editor
> with a list of packages with their descriptions, listing upgraded
> packages in one section, new packages in another section, and
> ignored/not upgraded packages in a third.  You just comment/uncomment a
> few lines, and then dftp ftps and optionally installs all the packages
> you requested.
>
> With about 15 minutes of work once a week, my system stays up to date
> with the current development tree.
>
> Bill Gribble

Except dftp seems to have quit working.  8^(

Jim.

Using FTP to fetch list of packages in the Debian distribution...
Connected to ftp.debian.org.
220 bugs FTP server (Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-9](1) Fri Mar 15 21:00:43 EST 1996) ready.
331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
hash
Hash mark printing on (1024 bytes/hash mark).
ascii
200 Type set to A.
cd /debian
250 CWD command successful.
get ls-laR /root/packages/.packages-ls-laR
200 PORT command successful.
550 ls-laR: No such file OR directory.
get Packages-Master /root/packages/Packages-Master
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for Packages-Master (0 bytes).
#
226 Transfer complete.
bye
221 Goodbye.

Could not retrieve directory listing or package descriptions.

Jim Lynch, Sales Analyst,  Cray Research, Inc. / ARS: K4GVO
Southeast District, Phone: (770) 631-2254, Email: jwl@cray.com
Suite 270, 200 Westpark Drive, Peachtree City, GA 30269