Re: cross compilation,assembly

Carl V. Streeter:
   > It would be neat to be able to generate a binary package for all
   > processor targets of debian at once.  That would get rid of the
   > current lag in non-hardware-specific packages for eg. the
   > debian-m68k port.

Ian Jackson:
   It would be nice, but it can't be done.  Our packages don't
   cross-compile - well, some do, but we don't require them to and
   can't do so because the upstream package may well not support it.

I disagree.  It could be done, though not for all packages.  [I can
see packages with architecture independent files, packages with
architecture specific files that can be built for all architectures,
and packages with files which have architecture specific semantics.
The latter case would have to be addressed by someone who knows what
they're doing.]

Also, it would be interesting developing useful (and concise)
installation tools for such an environment.

--
Raul