Re: /etc/rc.local not used?

"MvS" == Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@cistron.nl> writes:

  MvS> In article <[🔎] 199603090226.TAA03773@galileo.cuug.ab.ca>,
  MvS> Scott Barker  <scott@galileo.cuug.ab.ca> wrote:
  >> Is there a reason that debian-0.93R6 is not set up to source /etc/rc.local at
  >> boot time? I realize it's easy enough to add to the init procedure, but I
  >> was wondering why it's included, and not used.
  >>

  MvS> It's a left over from the old bsd-like boot procedure.
  MvS> Some people have asked me to re-instate it, but I'd
  MvS> like some input on when it should be executed. Should
  MvS> it be executed after the /etc/init.d/boot script, or
  MvS> as the last step before going multiuser? It depends
  MvS> on your setup, I think. It's easy enough to add a
  MvS> call to the /etc/init.d/boot script, or to insert
  MvS> an extra /etc/init.d/rclocal script that calls it,
  MvS> but then again, why not put your stuff directly there
  MvS> instead of in the /etc/rc.local file?

  MvS> I'd like some feedback on this issue.

  MvS> Mike.
  MvS> --

     I try to keep my grubby paws off anything in /etc/init.d and its
relatives but at some point I felt like I had no choice but to add a
call to my own /etc/local_setup script as the last step in the Debian
/etc/init.d/boot script.

     My /etc/local_setup is as follows.

-------------------- quote -----------------
echo
echo "Starting local setup..."

# set keyboard rate & delay
echo "Setting kbd rate & delay..."
kbdrate -r 20 -d 250

# enable interrupt-driven printer operation
echo "Enabling IRQ-driven operation on /dev/lp1..."
tunelp /dev/lp1 -i 7

echo
echo "Local setup completed."

   Bill

--
<bhogan@rahul.net> |- "5. Improve constantly and forever the system of
production and service, to improve quality and productivity, and thus