Re: newbie problem

At 03:14 PM 3/6/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I am running (and loving) debian 0.93R6 on two computers, a Dell 486-100
>at home and a Micron 100P at work. At home I have a slip connection and at
>work an ethernet connection. I have no problems whatever at home. At work
>is another story. The Micron crashes regularly (2-3 times each day) with
>no apparent pattern --- different applications and sometimes when I'm not
>even in the office.  The symptoms are always the same: a frozen screen
>(even the clock doesn't advance) and a frozen keyboard and mouse. I have
>to push reset to get started again. The only common denominator is that
>since I'm always running XF86, all the problems show up inside XF86.  I
>have run diagnostics on the computer itself and no problems show up. I
>have a few crontab entries but removing them one by one doesn't help. I've
>no doubt that this is some dumb configuration mistake on my part but I
>don't know how to find the source of the problem. Is there anything I do
>to track down the problem?
>
>Many thanks for any suggestions,
>Dan

Hmmm - you're not running an NE2000 card are you?  I used to get the exact
same symptoms you described above and it happened at no particular time.
Changing all the cards on my network to MSC Elite 16C Ultra's fixed the
problem and I havent had that happen since.

Aparantly it's a bug in the hardware of the NE2000's, while I had original
and not a clones it still persisted - where DOS is ok for it, other OS's get
glitchy about the bug.  However, I have known people to purchase an NE2000
and have no troubles with it, and, then there were those people I knew that
couldn't afford anything more and kept taking theirs back until they got one
that didn't do it.

I especially found the problem more persistant when the ne.c driver in linux
was changed at 1.2.5...

Hope this helps...

...Karl
--