Re: HELP!!! - Problems with my root partition

luisgh@cogs.susx.ac.uk (Luis Francisco Gonzalez Hernandez) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am experiencing problems with my root partition. I am able to read
> and execute any program as long as it doesn't write anything to it.
>
> I am using a ext2 filesystem. I tried to force a check but it comes
> out clean.  As I am unable to write anything, I can't change
> anything in the config files.
> Anyone has any idea? I would not want to have to delete, format and
> reinstall everything if I can avoid it.

What does it do if you try to write things? If it says "Read only file
system", then the command "mount -o remount,rw" may fix the problem
until reboot. Do you get any unusual messages when Linux starts up?
(Or do you want to keep your system up...) What does the root entry in
/etc/fstab look like?

Neil Turton.
| Neil Turton, Assistant computer officer | Snail Mail to:       |
|                                         |  Churchill college,  |
| e-mail: N.D.Turton@chu.cam.ac.uk        |  Cambridge. CB3 0DS. |
| GCM(M) d H s+:- !g p0>+ !au(-) a- w+ v C+++@ UL++++$(+++) P+   |
|   L+++ 3- E++ N-(+) K- W--- M-- V po Y+ t-- 5 !j R- G? !tv(-)  |