Re: Debian 1.1 release date?

On Wed, 31 Jan 1996, tictac wrote:

Hi Matt,

> > We have an ELF system now, but it is not yet 100% ELF. It runs fine
> > here, but is somewhat troublesome to install. Ian Jackson is working
> > on improving "dpkg" to take care of the installation problems.
> >
> > I will try to get an ELF boot disk done this week. That's one of the major
> > hold-ups. Another is that some package maintainers have not upgraded their
> > packages to ELF yet.

There's no problem with running a mixed system currently except that
you're wasting memory since some libs need to be held in memory/on
disk twice (a.out and ELF).

> Do they realize it's kindof important to do that? :)

I believe they do but at least "some of them" have to do real work beside
maintaining Debian packages ;-).

It should not be too hard to recompile the sources by yourself.

Bye,

Steffen

--
Steffen R. Mueller                            email: steffen@xlink.net
NTG Netzwerk und Telematic GmbH  \   /        fax:   +49 721 9652 210