rm -r/-R/--recursive doesn't seem to work

I just built a distribution tree from a CD on my hard disk. I tried to
remove all the TRANS.TBL files from the tree by using:
rm -r TRANS.TBL
If I do this in a directory that has a TRANS.TBL it, and only it, gets
removed. If I do this in an upper directory without a TRANS.TBL file, I
get the error "no such file or directory"
Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug in rm?

TIA,

Dwarf