Browsing *.deb files with Midnight Commander (was: Re: nis install question)

On Mon, 30 Dec 1996, Rick Macdonald wrote:

> Are you an Emacs user? If so, try my "deb-view" for emacs. It lets you
> browse Debian deb files without unpacking or installing. You can look at
> control files, man pages, etc. You can even copy individual files out of
> the deb file. (It's based on tar-mode).

The latest development versions of the "GNU Midnight Commander" are
enabled to handle *.deb files just the same way.

The main MC developer Miguel de Icaza <miguel@roxanne.nuclecu.unam.mx>
included direct Debian support by adding the Debian package maintainer's
scripts to the regular distribution upon my request. A really nice guy! It
was actually a matter of just a few days after my request until he put out
a new development version of MC containing the requested code! :-)

The latest devel version mc-3.5.13.tar.gz (which i am running without
problems) can be obtained at "ftp://ftp.nuclecu.unam.mx/Midnight/devel/";
or from various mirrors as indicated at the GNU Midnight Commander
homepage at "http://stekt.oulu.fi/~jtklehto/mc/";. The GNU MC homepage is
actually temporarily down but still contains various pointers to FTP
sites.
                                           Regards, P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de