nis install question

Hi there.  Pete the perenial question-asker here.

I'd like to look at the stuff for the nis package.  Will anything break if
I do nothing more than install the nis debian package (i.e. is it a bad
thing to install on a machine which I kinda depend on?)?  I hope to
migrate to nis sometime this summer, and I'd like to look at it first.

Thanks for the input!

  --Pete