Re: Kernel assumes 486

> 	Hello,
> I recently installed Debian GNU/Linux 1.1.13 to a Compaq 386.
> The base kernel (2.0.6) runs fine, but if I let dselect attempt
> to install any other kernel, the system hangs on boot with a
> message like:
>
> 	a 486 is assumed.  Giving up.

Sounds like a buggy 386.  When the kernel starts, it trys to find out what
type of cpu it is running on.  It starts by assuming a 386, then tests for
486.  If that passes, then it tests for a 586, etc.  Your 386, at startup,
looks like a 486 to the kernel, and so later when it treats it as one it
has errors.

Adam Heath
doogie@shianet.org
http://www.geocities.com/Siliconvalley/Park/6562/