Debian 1.2 install problem - short memory

I have been trying to install 1.2 on a Thinkpad 500 with 4 meg of memory
without success.  The machine had Slackware working on it, but the rescue
disk fails on boot.  It last message is:

And then hangs.  I suspect the problem is a lack of memory.  The rescue
disk reports memory as:

Memory: 1604k/4288k available (1044k kernel, 384k reserved, 672k data)

By comparison, the slackware bare.i boot disk reports:

Memory: 2828k/4288k available (688k kernel, 384k reserved, 388k data)

and the previous custom kernel was similarly small.

I tried the new.resq1440.bin with similar results.  floppy=thinkpad, and
mem=xxx, and other attempts at boot parameters make no difference, other
than to elicit a slight variation of:

Couldn't get a free page . . .
out of Memory

----

My guess is that the rescue disk kernel is just too large for a machine
with so little memory.  My expectation is to get the system going from
floppy, and then add parts with either SLIP, PLIP, or PCMCIA ethernet -
depending on how well things work.

If the above interpretation is correct, is there any chance we could have
a low memory version of the rescue disk for similar machines.  I would
put the disk together myself, except that I need a working debian system
to install the package on to make a new disk.

George