shadow password support

I have just upgraded a system from 1.1 + shadow password packages
to 1.2.  Unfortunately it converted my shadow system to a non
shadow system (BUG: it also left /etc/password readable by root
only).

I'm just wondering what is the current shadow support in
debian 1.2?  And what are the plans for full shadow support?

--
Bernard Leach                    Australian Business Access Pty Ltd.
leachbj@aba.net.au               http://www.aba.net.au/