boot disk for new PC

Hi,

I'm trying to put debian on a new PC with a Buslogic Flashpoint LT SCSI
card in it. This card wasn't supported by the boot floppies I had so I
patched my kernel (2.0.27) and made a custom rescue disk with buslogic,
ramdisk, and initrd support compiled in. The boot disk recognizes the
card fine but right after the partition check finds "sda: sda1", I get
the following messages:

RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid ramdisk image starting at 0.
Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:00

>From the previous boot disks I've downloaded, I expected to be asked to
insert further disks to load the ramdisk image but the PC now seems to be
checking on the rescue disk itself un-successfully. Does anyone know what
I'm doing incorrectly? Thanks much...

J. Goldman