Re: IP Routing Problems....

> On Sat, 21 Dec 1996, Kevin Traas wrote:
> >
> > The router at the ISP is pretty non-configurable.  It only supports
> > dynamic routing, so the only thing that can be configured on it is the
> > IP address of the port I'm connecting to.  All routing information is
> > supposed to be "learned" via RIP.  But, it's not learning....
> >
> > If this is my problem, do you have any ideas why?
>
> I suppose that your ISP has granted you a subdoamin for your local
> network. But if your problem is in configuring the ISP router (which you
> didn't have access to) you could set up a firewall on box_a. That could
be
> done rather transperant, with the only dissadvantage that you can't run
> internet services on the same port on two machines on you local network.
> But as long as the ports differ, there should be no problem setting up
the
> firewall to route the packages to the right box.
>  Name:       Hakan Ardo
>  E-Mail:     hakan@debian.org

I do have access to their router, but there is nothing, besides the
interface IP address, to configure on it - all routing is learned via RIP.
I can't establish any static routes and it's not learning them dynamically
and I can't figure out why.  I don't want Box_A to be a firewall (yet) - I
just want it to route traffic through to my network.

Thanks for your help.

Kevin Traas