Re: just starting

> I am a rank beginner and I know this question will display ignorance
> (perhaps terminal) but ---

> Should I forget the whole program and
> stay fat, dumb and happy in WIN95?
>
> Thanks, (gifford@maui.com)

>From someone who's been there, prolly still is there, and will be
there for some time. ;-)

Stick with Linux.  It is well worth the effort.  The battle is much
easier if you stick with Debian, but feel free to check out what
others say about all of the distributions.

I credit Win95 for making it easy enough for this newbie to get
totally addicted.  I thank Linux for keeping me motivated, and
willing to learn more.

Jan '96 -PC with win95 enters home
oh, I had a vic20 when I was a teen, but that is about the extent of
my computer background.  I read like a bastard for about a year and a
half before I got my PC, so I wasn't totally clueless, but close.
April '96- totally addicted to my computer and the Internet, enter
Linux.  Still reading everything I can get my hands on, but its tough
to make up for years of not learning. ;-)
~Oct'96-enter Debian.  ahhh, it sure makes life easier, now I can
actually use my Linux system instead of trying to configure every
damn little thing.  I don't have much disk space allocated, but I've
got XWin, Apache, Smail, Netscape, Emacs, some games(quake!),
learning some perl, msql, and so much more than I'd bore you with
here. :-)  Theres nothing like watching the output from tcpdump in
one window, while you work on a webpage with your local server in
another window, while you upgrade your version of smail, while you
test those new perl scripts, ........continue until you choke your
machine.....

Point being, this has lead me change my career ambitions.  It may not
do the same for you, but you're sure to learn a hell of alot, have a
little fun, take some pride in something not everyone can do, and
meet some damn fine people via these lists and the Linux community
at large.  Stick with it!

Best Wishes, and many thanks to everyone on the Debian Development
team for a fine job!

(lookin' for the job of his dreams)
Rich M
qnc496@durhamnews.net

as for your trouble with making disks.  Under win 95 Get rawrite, get the floppy
images on your HD.  drag and drop the images onto rawrite with a
floppy in the drive, it should prompt you which disk you want to
write to, a or b whichever applies.  Hope that helps.