Re: Problems with Sendmail and X..

On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, Matthew Stone wrote:

> ok.. i am trying to set up sendmail.. now it partialy works..  the local
> sendmail works when i am not online but when i ma online the outgoing
> sendmail works but the incoming doesn't... now what is wierd is it bounces
> but i still kind of get the mail on the recieving end.. and i do kill the
> sendmail process and reload it when i get online.. i bounces and get 12
> messages (this is on the sending side) and the error message i get is
>
> 553 site.name.address. config error: mail loops back to me (MX problem?)

This is a sendmail/DNS configuration problem, an example of how to set
things up:

In the zone file for your domain:

domain.com.		IN MX 10 mx1.domain.com.

host1.domain.com	IN A 192.1.1.1
			IN MX 10 mx1.domain.com.

mx1.domain.com		IN A 192.1.1.1
			IN MX 10 mx1.domain.com.

host2.domain.com	IN A 192.1.1.2
			IN MX 10 mx1.domain.com.

in the /etc/mail/sendmail.cw file on host1:

domain.com
host1.domain.com
mx1.domain..com
host2.domain.com

basicly you have to have an entry in the sendmail.cw file on host1 for all
hosts listing host1 (or mx1 as my example above) as their primary MX host.

Much much more on this sort of thing in the O'Reilly "Sendmail" and "DNS
and BIND" books.

Christopher E. Stefan                        flatline@ironhorse.com
http://www.ironhorse.com/~flatline           finger for PGP key
System Administrator                         Phone: (206) 783-6636
Ironhorse Software, Inc.                     FAX:   (206) 783-4591