Can't load xlib library problems

Hi,
I'm a new user installing Debian 1.2 for the first time.
I'm running into instances where I get "can't load library" errors
when installing X.

When I run /usr/sbin/xbase-configure (as part of the xbase install)
I get the error: can't load library: libXmu.so.6
The file libXmu.so.6 is in: /usr/X11R6/lib

When I run /etc/init.d/xdm start as part of the xserver install, I
get: can't load library: libXt.so.6
That file is also in: /usr/X11R6/lib

xlib6 seemed to install ok. Any ideas or pointers to where to look?
Thanks,
Ira