Re: VT100 terminal?

On Thu, 19 Dec 1996, Pete Templin wrote:

> -> This is to make the office gag gift really work...<-
>
> I was "given" a VT100 terminal as a gag gift.  Is there any way to
> interface it with a Linux box?  Keep it simple, so I can do it in one
> night and really get some laughs around here.

I have done this with a Dec dumb terminal. You will need a null-modem
cable, and a getty (set up in inittab) on the serial port. The only gotcha
that I ran into, is that login wants to drop the serial line from 2 stop
bits to 1, and my terminal couldn't handle the situation (created
character over/under runs). I fixed the problem in my .bash_profile this
way:

# ~/.bash_profile: executed by bash(1) for login shells.
# $Id: dot.bash_profile,v 3.1 1995/01/21 11:17:57 imurdock Exp $

export PS1='\u[\t]\w\$ '

umask 002

TTY=`tty`
case $TTY in
  /dev/ttyS?) stty cstopb ; stty rows 24 ; stty cols 79 ;;
esac

The rows and cols parameters are for programs like lynx and joe, which
don't work well on a tty without these settings. There are also several
programs, ae being the one that comes to mind, that don't manage the tty
key codes in the same way that they do from a console. As a result much
functionality is lost (ae, is pretty much unusable).

This should let you use your "gift" to everyone's surprise ;-)

Luck,

Dwarf