Re: lprm <job>; permission denied!?

 I got a private mail from David Puryear <dayear@market1.com>, but a
reply bounced with:
    : Subject: Delivery failure
    : From: postmaster@express.market1.com
    : Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 01:01:39 -0700
    : To: wehler2@welfa4.elektro.uni-wuppertal.de
    : Cc: postmaster@express.market1.com
    :
    : Your message has encountered delivery problems
    : to local user dayear.
    : (Originally addressed to dayear@market1.com)
    :
    : User does not have a mailbox
    :
    : Your message reads (in part):

 So here it is again (hope, David, you'll get your mailbox soon):

============================== resent message ====================
 Thanky you for the reply!

: Can you reinstall lpr? I noticed that sometimes you do need to reinstall
: debian packages using dpkg -i instead of dselect.

 Yes, I did it, with no effect.  Btw, dpkg -i leaves the configured
dirs and files in place, so I wondered if it would be a good idea to
purge lpr out first and reinstall it, but this is refused by dpkg, for
lpr is an essential package.

 Very odd and reproducable behavior:

  wehler2@welfa4:~/d100$ lpr -Pps04 d100.ps
  wehler2@welfa4:~/d100$ lpq -Pps04
  ps04 is ready and printing
  Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
  active wehler2    38   d100.ps                               3218699 bytes
  wehler2@welfa4:~/d100$ lprm -Pps04 38
  cfA038Aa00133: Permission denied
  cfA038Aa00133: Permission denied
  wehler2@welfa4:~/d100$ su -c "lprm -Pps04 38"
  Password:
  dfA038Aa00133 dequeued
  cfA038Aa00133 dequeued
  wehler2@welfa4:~/d100$

 Thank you,
    Andreas.

--
Uni Wuppertal, FB Elektrotechnik, Tel/Fax: (0202) 439 - 3009
Dr. Andreas Wehler;  wehler2@welfa4.elektro.uni-wuppertal.de