CD rom & Syquest

Let me preface this message by letting everyone know that I am *very* green
with Linux.  I've fooled around with Slackware on my friends computer a
couple of times, read some of the online doc, and browsed the Linux ng's,
but that's about it.

The trouble I was experiencing dealt with Debian recognizing my CDrom
(Hitachi 4x).  This proved to be a problem as I could not install the
additional Linux packages w/o it.  The floppy installation went fine, but
when I re-booted and ran dselect I was unable to access the rom.  It's
located on the secondary controller as a slave w/ a Syquest removable as
the master.  After countless hours of fiddling (blindly I might add) I gave
up for the evening.  The following day I thought I'd give it another shot
and booted to Debian.  Mysteriously, the rom was accessible this time.
Why?  What did I do?  Maybe that bottle of vodka I slammed against the side
of my tower out of frustration did the trick <g>.  Come to find out, when I
shut down the previous night, I removed the media from the Syquest.
Consequently, at boot the following day, the Syquest was not found, only
the CD.  Presto, all is well and I was able to install the additional
packages.

Though this configuration is fine for the time being as I'm still trying to
figure out the basics, I might in the future like to access both the
Syquest and the cd during the same session.  Right now I have to re-boot w/
either the media in or out of the removable, depending on what device I
would want to use.

Has anyone experienced a problem like this before?  Any suggestions?

Jeff