xbase setup after xserver! now libXext.so.6 can't be found

After upgrading from Debian 1.1 to Debian 1.2 successfully, I decided
to see if my own "rescue kit" consisting of the 6 Debian 1.2 installation
diskettes and an NFS server with all of the packages installed on my
machine on it would work.  I had wanted to repartition my drives more
sensibly anyway.

Something strange happened, though.  xbase wasn't setup until after
xserver-mach64, and who knows how many other X packages.  I had to
finish configuring xserver-mach64 after everything else had been
setup, as it was the only X package that complained about missing
files.

Now I get:

ytalk: can't load library 'libXext.so.6'

even though this file is present in /usr/X11R6/lib.  In fact, none of
the /usr/X11R6/lib libraries seem to be accessible.  What gives here?
Have other people had this problem?  Is there a fix available?

This problem is reproducable too.  I tried installing from the same
kit, copied onto nearly 30 floppies on my friend's machine the other
night.  At that time I thought I had done something wrong, or that
xserver-s3 was broken.  However, when I tried it again on my machine,
from the NFS server, I got the same result.

Now, I was using the unstable distribution, which I later thought might
have been the problem.  But after purging xserver-mach64, xfnt*, and
xbase, and reinstalling these packages from the stable distribution I
still have had no luck.  Perhaps xlib6 has been broken too, by not

I will try successively purging as much of the x11 stuff as I can and
manually reinstalling things in the right order, from the stable Debian 1.2
distribution until I get it right.  In the mean time, does anyone have any
clues about what might have gone wrong, here?

Thanks,
Ben.
--
      Ben Armstrong                -.       Medianet Development Group,
      BArmstrong@dymaxion.ca         `-.    Dymaxion Research Limited