What's the problem?

I've been trying to track down a strange problem on my own for a bit
but I'm not getting anywhere.

This is on a Debian 1.1 system.
At random times, I'm simply logged out. And it got really bad
just a few moments ago. All vt's where were closed down and
a new login prompt appeared. While this was going on, my hard-drive
lit up and started spinning like Linux was reading my whole disk
over and over again. Even when I tried to login and try to ps -ax
and kill whatever was happening, I could only get as far the the
motd...no shell prompt...before I was logged back off again.
I finally had to hit reset and re-boot the computer.

This random logging out has been going on for the past couple of weeks
( but this is the first time it did all that disk activity) and I
can't track it down.

I have't installed anything new for the past month or so. and i'm not
using any non-debian packages. I've checked the setuid.* logs
and nothing is different. The only thing in the log files that might
be the cause or were logged around the time it happened tonight is this:

Dec 13 22:46:10 gtech syslogd 1.3-0#6: restart.
Dec 13 22:46:12 gtech kernel: klogd 1.3-0, log source = /proc/kmsg started.
Dec 13 22:46:15 gtech syslogd 1.3-0#6: restart.

Is this where the problem is?
I was connected to my ISP at the time. But I don't remember if I was
online the other times.

I could use all the help I can get.............