Re: Shadow Passwords

On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Gergely Madarasz wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Stefan Walder wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > is there any way to use shadow-passwords on Debian 1.2?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Stefan
>
> I'm using the shadow packages from project/experimental, and it works all
> right. There were two or three binaries I belive which didnt support it:
> imapd, xdm, and ssh. I don't need the first two, so I just recompiled sshd
> (got the source and ran debian/rules )
>
> Greg
>
> Ps: there are other problems with shadow/ssh, such as ssh doesnt use
> /bin/login, so /etc/limits, and password aging doesnt work with ssh

I don't know about the ssh and imapd problem but for xdm, the xbase pckg
have an xdm-shadow binary. Two solutions: backup xdm and make a link from
xdm-shadow to xdm, or change the /etc/init.d/xdm script to use xdm-shadow
in place of xdm. And if security is your business, looks at
os.inf.tu-dresden.de/pub/debian-non-US/ss* for sstelnet and sslayet
though I don't try it enough to say if it work well...
Fabien.

 Little Billy goes to the zoo:
   "Looks mom! An elephant like those on the Web!"