Re: Problems with mkaliases

> hi there. i have upgraded to debian 1.2. i also upgraded my smail to
> smail_3.2-3.deb. since then i have not been able to exec /usr/sbin/mkaliases.
> it tells me:
> 	/usr/sbin/mkaliases: unknown file type, , for /etc/aliases
>
> the mode for /etc/aliases is -rw-r--r--
> any ideas??

smail supports several different types of alias lookups.  You have to
edit the line that says ALIASES_TYPE='' in mkaliases to put in the
type you want to use.  That has to match what's in the aliases
director in /etc/smail/directors.  Ideally, mkaliases would read
directors to figure out the type in use.  I filed a bug report that it
should at least print out a better error message until that's
implemented.

Anyway, the default type is `lsearch' (linear search).  In that mode,
mkaliases does nothing more than a consistency check on your
/etc/aliases file.  There are much more efficient types which you
might want to use if you have a lot of aliases and process a lot of
email, namely bsearch (binary search) and dbm.

If you didn't understand any of that :), just edit the mkaliases file
so it says ALIASES_TYPE='lsearch', and you'll be ok.

Guy