Re: Problem with 1.2 and 3com during install

I have both the dos and linux versions of the 3c509 config program. The linux
version can be found from ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/setup/ . There
seems to be a new version of the program, dated 12/11/96.
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/linux.html has stuff about linux network
drivers and config programs.

But back to the mission impossible. Last night I tried with different irq and
base io addresses using both the dos and linux version of the config programs.
The linux version finds the cards, tells the irq and io address but insmod
fails. The command I used is 'insmod 3c509 io=0x300 irq=10' or whatever irq
and base address I happened to try at the moment.

The card works fine with Win NT and dos, so it'll have to work with linux too.
I guess I'll try the boot floppies from November and see if the program goes
away.

Is it ok to compile 2.0.27 kernel on a different machine with only the
necessary drivers and then put that on the resque disk? It's easy to open the
image file with the loopback device and do the modifications. I guess I'll try
that too.

> Find the floppy disk that came with your 3com card and run it (I'm afraid
> you'll have to boot a DOS floppy to do that). There's also a place where
> you can get the 3com configuration utility over the net, someone please tell
> us. It'll tell you what address the card is configured for, or will allow you
> to reconfigure it.

// Heikki