Some experiences of a Rex installation

I have installed two machines from the current Rex distribution.
The distribution was aligned on Monday to my mirror FTP.FUNET.FI
that is usually quite up-to-date. There has not been modifications
in the mirror this week any more and so I hope to have the final one.

The base set of the system was installed last week with
previous boot set (28-11). I had some problems but I uderstood that
they should be solved by now.

I found the following dependency problems:
 - gs-aladdin should depend on libpng1
 	(shouldn't the non-free be frozen with rex?)
 - kbd recommends too strongly on svgatextmode
 	there are all kind of problems with svgatextmode
 	especially in internationalization and I do not
 	want to use it yet
	(forcing kbd without svgatextmode works fine)
- mc should depend on libgpm1

And some likely bugs:

svgatextmode: 8-bit international ISO Latin 1 characters are displayed
incorrectly in all the fonts I tried.

X: The keyboard maps of XKB extension of XFree 3.2 are not working
really well. If you select Finnish from menu you are not going to get
the right map. It seems that if you
- run new xf86config (keyboard do not work with old)
- but do *not* select keyboard extension in the configuration
then you'll get the right keyboard map from the kbd package.
(In fact, the resulting keymap is the best I have ever managed
to get to work in X with *all* the right dead keys.)
I do not have any xmodmap settings.

msql: it tries to send messages to the msql user which it has
correctly created but forgotten to create /var/spool/mail/msql which
means that smail stores the message in 'error' subdirectory.  The error
message email repeats at 15 second interval.  The message says "Can't
start server : UNIX bind : Permission denied".  The reason may be the
permission problems of the '/tmp' being root.root rwxr-xr-x after the
base installation. This generates an interesting amount of trash mail
files.

Updatedb is never run. The likely reson is that cron seems to die.

One interesting note is that I must *not* have bind installed to get
NFS partitions mounted in the boot. If I have local DNS it is not up
yet and the server names are not resolved at all (in a small installation
they are in /etc/hosts but I have decided not to do that). If I do not
have local bind, it correctly asks tha names from configured external
nameservers.

BTW: I have tried to use network masks in /etc/export. I have got them
to work in *the last line* of the file. If I have three lines in the
file, just the third export allows mounts according the mask.

BTW2: Are you sure that nameservers should be separated with comma
in /etc/resolv.conf like suggested in the boot set dialog. I have
used just blank and it seems to work. Never tried comma.

I would be happy with CD drivers in the kernel if there would be a way
to disable autodetection of the devices that are not there. Is there a
boot option to do that? Space is not such a big issue anymore.

I have not found xload yet. fvwm95 is missing it. The old configuration
file is missing xterm_color as well but it seems to be obsolete now(?)
(I prefer this, the green cursor is awful.)

	Esa Turtiainen