Re: Reading X manual pages

Guy Maor wrote:

> luisgh@cogs.susx.ac.uk (Luis Francisco Gonzalez) writes:
>
> > I have noticed that since upgrading to the new X server I can't get the
> > manual pages for X.
>
> You probably have the MANPATH environment variable set.  Unset it.

I wonder if someone might have the time to explain WHY one would want
to unset the MANPATH env variable.  I can understand that maybe
it's set improperly, and thus needs modifying, but why unset it
and possibly cause future problems due to its absence?  This
question isn't intended to be critical of Guy's response - I'm
truly in the dark, just trying to fully understand.  Thanks!

--
   Don Morton                          donm@cameron.edu
   Department of Math Sciences         Voice (405) 581-2396