Re: Help! I'm with mount problems...

> > > Ok, to mount an ext2 filesystem:
> > > 	mount -t ext2 /dev/<partition> <mountpoint>
> > > From what I see above, your partition should be /dev/hdb1. A typical
> > > mountpoint is /mnt.
> >
> > I tried this, but its results was an error message. :-(
>
> Looks like it's verty f**cked'up then...
> You linux root fs is on the first partition of the second hard drive
> right ? Its device is /dev/hdb1 right ?

Yes. Yes.

> > > But beware, don't try to mount is without fsck'ing it.
> > > Try, before:
> > > 	e2fsck -f /dev/hdb1
> > > And see what it says.
> >
> > The only boot disk that I have is the one of Debian Installation.
> > Do you believe that its root disk hasn't the e2fsck program? Can
> > you send this program attached in a reply, or say where can I find
> > it? I'll mount my W95 partition with the program in it, and will
> > attempt to use it...
>
> Mmmh. I've sent it to you in a separate message (no need to send this
> to the lists). I'm not 100% sure it will work as this is Debian 1.2's
> e2fsck, there might be some library problems. If it doesn't work,
> email me and I'll make you a statically linked version.

I tried, but there is the need of a "libuuid..." library. Please,
send the other version.

> > > If it cannot fix the problems, then you'll have to use an
> > > alternate superblock, but that's another story.
> >
> > Can you tell me how to do it? I think the problem is in the
> > first superblock, but don't know how to use another superblocks.
>
> Use the -b option on the command line. SuperBlock backups are stored
> every 8192 blocks (if you did format it normally, but I guess you
> did).
> You will want to:
> 	e2fsck -b <superblock> -f /dev/hdb1
> The -f forces the check.
> You can try superblock=1 (will do the same as without the -b),
> superblock=8193, etc... (yes is starts at 1).
>
> If you've got a small root fs, and got some spare room somewhere,
> make a copy of the fs. In case something goes wrong, you'll be able
> to restart from scratch.
> To do this, mount your spare space on /mnt and do:
> 	dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=/mnt/copy-of-root-fs bs=1k
> Be sure you've got enough room...

In the second winchester (/dev/hdb) I've only two partitions: the
Linux partition (/dev/hdb1) with +/- 790Mb, and the Swap (/dev/hdb2)
with +/- 30Mb. My first winchester (/dev/hda) has only one partition
with 340Mb for my (eeck!) Windows 95 system. When I really know what
I'm doing in Linux, I'll stop using W95 :-)

> > Now, a stupid question :-) How can I check that everything is
> > ok? I don't have books about Linux or Unix, and the little
> > things that I learned was with the 'man' command. With my poor
> > english, that was a true "Mission: Impossible" ;-)
>
> If e2fsck completes, it should be ok. Then retry to e2fsck the
> root fs without any option. It should recheck everything, and you
> shouldn't get anymore errors.
> If possible take note of the questions e2fsck asks when repairing.
> It might tell you it found unlinked files, etc...
>
> Good luck.

I'll need it! :-)

Thanks!

[]'s Alexander Gieg