networking problem

Okay folks...I've narrowed down my problem to /etc/init.d/network, where
the first attempt to ifconfig eth0 fails, because I have no eth0!  I told
the installer that I was connected to the network via ethernet.  NT (also
on the system) says taht I have a Novell NE2000 card.  What's wrong?  do I
have to mknod the device file myself?  If so, how?  (never mind why for
now).  Any ideas, folks?  it's set to x300 irq 10, in a mixed ISA/PCI
system...NT, 95, and wfw work fine (this is to be a multiplatform build
machine).  Thanks, if anyone can help!

(btw...I tried re-installing with Debian 1.2 floppies and base.  same
thing)

---
Allan Anderson -- cerebus@megamed.com

--
This message was delayed because the list mail delivery agent was down.