Tweaking cron for use on laptops

I have been running Debian on my laptop for a few months now.  Good job
guys.  Unless I intentionally remove the cron package form this machine,
the hard drive will not spin down.  What would be nice is if I could
configure cron to only run say once per hour.  That way I could take
advantage of the log cycling features of the system.  Reading through
the vixie cron documentation and source, there does not appear to be a
straightforward way to do this.  Anyone thought about this?

--
Marty