Re: Debian vs. floppy install

: home PC. Now, with Debian there seems to be no information whatsoever on
: how to choose the packages after you install the 4 or 5 base set
: floppy disks. I know that if you use other methods like dpkg-ftp (I don't

 We considered too the floppy emulsion (it's not a solution).  But who
should make the needed decisions to build your needed set of floppies?
My thought would be: Make a multivolume tar of your own, with a good
selection of your favorite packages -- that way the number of floppies
is tolerable and you don't need the whole, huge debian tree.  Unpack
your multivolume tar to your home PC into an adjaecnt partition and
install it via moundet fs.

: the Debian sub-directories (admin, text, tex, misc, etc...). When I tried
: to install the 1.1 release I had often to go back to the Debian server to
: get more packages that depended on the ones I got first.

 The needed information to select your packages should be in the
Packages file, if you grep the names of the wanted packages.

 See also: following posting about outline mode!
     Andreas.

--
Uni Wuppertal, FB Elektrotechnik, Tel/Fax: (0202) 439 - 3009
Dr. Andreas Wehler;  wehler2@welfa4.elektro.uni-wuppertal.de