It could happen to you (was Re: network cards and POST failures)

Hello everyone,

at last, the strange problems I was having with my Linux box at reboot time
is solved. I followed Donald Becker's recommendation about putting
"/sbin/ifconfig eth0 down" at the very end of the reboot script and this
fixes everything. Now everything is crystal-clear to me.

I agree with Bruce that the Debian distribution should take care of shutting
down Ethernet devices before rebooting.

As an example, I was getting this error in my desktop machine everytime I
rebooted the Linux box: "eth0: Bus master arbitration failure, status 88f2"
Since my desktop machine is not a production machine (I am the only one that
uses it) and that I first saw this error after a kernel upgrade, I did not
waste much time finding the cause. Each time I got that error I just cycled
power to the computer and everything worked fine after that. Well, the
Ethernet card here is also a NE2100 compatible (it's a BocaLAN Card, using
the lance.c driver) and it does DMA. After I put "/sbin/ifconfig eth0 down"
at the bottom of /etc/init.d/reboot the problem went away.

Beware!!! This problem could happen to you and you'll waste hours trying to
find what's wrong.

Regards,

Eloy.-

P.S. Somebody may want to post this to debian-devel@lists.debian.org because