tar strange behaviour

Hello,

I do not seem to be able to use tar for multivolume archives
on my Debian1.1

I make a tar file of a file like:

        tar cvMf /dev/fd0 myfile

and this works all right, prompting me for next volumes and
the archive is created OK. I can look up its contents with

        tar tvMf /dev/fd0

it goes through all the floppies asking for the next and
everything seems to be fine, but when I try to unpack it
with the command:

        tar xvMf /dev/fd0

literally what I get is this:

        myfile
        Segmentation fault

The tar file was created on the same machine using tar version
tar_1.11.8-5.

Could anybody suggest a way of solving this problem please ?
--

     Marek