NCR53c7,8xxx SCSI controller?

The Debian boot disk (from 7/14/96) does not recognize my NCR53c7,8xxx
SCSI controller.  It seems to think it's a 53c406a with no ports
available.

I don't think it's a hardware problem because the RedHat 3.0.3 boot
disks seem to work fine.  But I don't really want to use RedHat ;-)

Are alternate boot disks available anywhere?  (I seem to recall a
selection of them back in the Debian 0.9x days.)

--norm