Re: Please do not use Qt (fwd)

Buddha Buck <bmbuck@acsu.buffalo.edu> writes:
[snip]
> > There are hundreds of gpled Motif based pieces of software out there.
>
> Name 5.    By your assertion, I could modify GNU Emacs to use Motif
> widgets, and distribute the modified version freely, under the GPL.  I
> am certain that if I were to do  that, one of the first people I would
> hear complaints from would be RMS himself.

There is a file in the GNU Emacs distribution for Motif support (yes in
`emacs-19.34b.tar.gz' from any of your friendly neighbourhood GNU
mirror) It's called `lwlib-Xm.c' and here's the top comment from it:

  /* The lwlib interface to Motif widgets.
     Copyright (C) 1992 Lucid, Inc.

  This file is part of the Lucid Widget Library.

  The Lucid Widget Library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
  modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
  the Free Software Foundation; either version 1, or (at your option)
  any later version.

  The Lucid Widget Library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,

  along with GNU Emacs; see the file COPYING.  If not, write to
  the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330,
  Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.  */

You don't _have_ to modify GNU Emacs for Motif widgets, it _already_
supports them.

And if you are not yet convinced, here's an excerpt from the output of
`configure --help' in a Emacs source directory:

 Usage: configure [options] [host]
 Configuration:
   --cache-file=FILE       cache test results in FILE
   --help                  print this message
[snip]
 --enable and --with options recognized:
   --with-gcc              use GCC to compile Emacs
   --with-pop              support POP for mail retrieval
   --with-kerberos         support Kerberos-authenticated POP
   --with-hesiod           support Hesiod to get the POP server host
   --with-x-toolkit=KIT    use an X toolkit (KIT = yes/lucid/athena/motif/no)
   --with-x                use the X Window System                 ^^^^^^^

- Hari